Saturday, September 03, 2005 | |

The Leadership Blog Interview: Steve Sjogren

Steve Sjogren

Bio: Steve Sjogren has been involved in church planting in Los Angeles, Baltimore, and Oslo, Norway. He is the founding pastor of Vineyard Community Church (VCC) in Cincinnati, Ohio. With a strong emphasis on small groups, church planting, caring for the needy, and an innovative approach to evangelism called “servant evangelism,” VCC has seen attendance grow from 37 people to more than 6,000.

Church: Vineyard Cincinnati
Site: stevesjogren.com


1. Steve, What gives you the greatest joy in being a leader?
Steve: "Seeing people become visionary leaders. I can go on for weeks after one or two people “get it” with the kingdom message. It’s all about becoming outward. When people catch the fire for reaching out I am ignited."

2. What is your biggest pet peeve as a leader?
Steve: "I can’t stand people, churches, leaders, etc. that are inwardly focused – who exist just to stay in business for another year but have no idea why they are doing what they are doing."

3. Who made the biggest influence in your life as a leader?
Steve: "John Wimber, the founder of the Vineyard movement."

4. What books have changed your life?
Steve: "I read a LOT, so I would have to go with what has influenced me lately... Re-Imagine by Tom Peters, The Art of the Start by Guy Kawasaki, Never Eat Alone by Keith Ferrazzi."

5. What's your biggest challenge as a leader?
Steve: "Two things: I tend to overestimate how much I can accomplish in the short run, and I tend to underestimate how much I can accomplish in the long run as I faithfully keep up my steady pace going the same direction, faithfully, step after step."

6. What goals do you have as a leader?
Steve: "I am busy right now preparing to move to the east side of Tampa to plant a new church so I am recruiting and raising funds. Most of my energy is going in that direction right now. I believe this will be a significant church. We are prayerfully planning on planting dozens of churches out of this launching pad church."

7. Where do you see yourself in ten years?
Steve: "Being a smart old dude, leading Coastland Church in the Tampa area, innovating lots of things, mentoring lots of younger guys, touching hundreds of thousands of people each year with acts of kindness and generosity."

Steve, Thanks for taking time for the interview. For those of you who don't know, Steve offers his sermon graphics for free. Just check out his personal site and email him and ask for them! He truly is a kind guy!