Friday, September 23, 2005 | |

The Leadership Blog Interview: Bill Purvis

Bill Purvis

Bio: Bill Purvis is senior pastor of Cascade Hills Church in Columbus Georgia. He has led the church from 32 people to a membership of almost 8,000. John Maxwell calls this church, “one of the most balanced churches in America”. Bill’s spiritual gift is leadership and his passion is lost people.

Church: Cascade Hills Chruch

The Leadership Blog Interview Questions

1. Bill, What gives you the greatest joy in being a leader?
Bill: "Progress, either with people “getting it” and growing, or in watching the mission of the church move forward."

2. What is your biggest pet peeve as a leader?
Bill: "Religious flakes and weirdo’s. Apathy makes my list too."

3. Who made the biggest influence in your life as a leader?
Bill: "John Maxwell. Before meeting him, I restrained my leadership gift because I saw things differently but didn’t want to cause disruption."

4. What books have changed your life?
Bill: “Leadership Without Easy Answers” (Herfetz), “How Should We Then Live” (Schaeffer) “Spiritual Authority” (Nee) “Lincoln” (Donald), “Straight from the Gut” (Welch) “Execution” (Bossidy),
“Well Intentioned Dragons” (Shelley) and most writings of Yancey, Maxwell & Sweet.

5. What’s your biggest challenge as a leader?
Bill: "Eliminating interruptions that distract me, and keeping everyone on the same mission at the same time, all of the time, are two challenges."

6. What goals do you have as a leader?
Bill: "I want to leave people and the church better than I found them."

7. Where do you see yourself in ten years?
Bill: "If not raptured, then I want to still be growing. I wish I could give a great answer here, but who knows the future?"

Thanks Bill for taking time for a great interview!