Tuesday, September 06, 2005 | |

The Leadership Blog Interview: Mark Waltz

Mark Waltz

Bio: Mark is Pastor of Connections at Granger Community Church in Granger, IN. Granger has over 5000 each Sunday and is one of the fastest growing churches in America. Mark is also author of the book, "First Impressions, Creating Wow Experiences in Your Church"

Church: Granger Community Church
Blog: markwaltz.typepad.com

The Leadership Blog Interview
1. Mark, what gives you the greatest joy in being a leader?
Mark: "Watching light bulbs go on for people when they understand their significance in Christ, relationships and personal S.H.A.P.E. and are then empowered to BE what God had originally designed them to be."

2. What is your biggest pet peeve as a leader?
Mark: "Veteran “insiders” (believers, members, leaders) who become internally focused and forget our mutual mission and vision."

3. Who made the biggest influence in your life as a leader?
Mark: "A couple of grandma-types – one blood relative, the other not – who believed in me, encouraged me in my middle and high school years to trust God. Their faithfulness right where they were through all sorts of adversity made a huge impression on me."

4. What books have changed your life?
Mark
: "In addition to the scriptures, the Bible, I would add: Larry Crabb’s books: Inside Out and Finding God, Henry Cloud’s: Changes that Heal, Rick Warren’s: the Purpose Driven Church"

5. What's your biggest challenge as a leader?
Mark: "Continuing to discover and narrow my focus on my “sweet spot”."

6. What goals do you have as a leader?
Mark: "Help my wife and daughter realize their God-given potential in God’s redemptive plan. Build a stellar of team around myself (it’s a great team; I want to continue to make it great-er) with whom my life mission to help people tap their God-given significance in personal relationships with God and others can be fulfilled… while at the same time helping my team to accomplish their life mission. Write a second book … still narrowing the focus. Bring crystal-clear clarity to the options of connection and growth for the guests and members of our church. Articulate, teach and mentor other leaders who are wired for relational leadership like I am."

7. Where do you see yourself in ten years?
Mark: "At Granger Community Church advancing the mission, experiencing the thrill of people taking their next steps toward Christ… together."