Sunday, August 28, 2005 | |

The Leadership Blog Interview: Wayne Cordeiro

Wayne Cordeiro
Bio: Wayne Cordeiro is Senior Pastor of New Hope Christian Fellowship based in Honolulu, Hawaii. With a congregation of 12,000, New Hope has been listed as one of the fastest growing churches, and one of the top 25 most influential churches in the nation. Wayne is also President of Pacific Rim Bible College, a District Supervisor for his denomination, and President of New Hope International.

Site: eNewhope.org

The Leadership Blog Interview
1. What gives you the greatest joy in being a leader?
Wayne
: "Seeing God’s dream released in His people. It’s THE ultimate. The greatest joy & the greatest fulfillment. If I can be remembered as a “Dream Releaser,” I’ll die (and have lived!) a happy man."

2. What is your biggest pet peeve as a leader?
Wayne
: "Complaining and blaming. Nothing kills a ministry or a move of God quicker than a spirit of division, disunity and disruption like complaining and blame-laying. We MUST, MUST, MUST keep a courageous spirit in solving every problem in a way that honors God and builds biblical character. This one is so big to me that it’s one of our church’s nine core values."

3. Who made the biggest influence in your life as a leader?
Wayne
: "In the eighth grade, my family lived in Japan as my father was stationed there. I saw Catholic missionaries working with some of the poor there and it really touched my heart. Though I wasn’t a Christian yet, I knew I was called to be a servant-leader."

4. What books have changed your life?
Wayne
: "Quite honestly? The LIFE journal. It’s a daily devotional that has me diving into the depths of God’s Word for me today. And everyday. It’s transformed my ministry."

5. What’s your biggest challenge as a leader?
Wayne
: "Overcoming any tendency to become crusty. It’s natural to grow weary, downhearted or disappointed. I have to keep believing in God, myself, and in people."

6. What goals do you have as a leader?
Wayne: "A growing spirit of excellence in all that I do. Not perfection but a willingness to consistently improve for the sake of the Kingdom of God."

7. Where do you see yourself in ten years?
Wayne
: "I’m very aware that I’m rounding my last lap of ministry in the next 10-15 years so I’m doing everything I can to work wiser (not harder), making sure that what I do is something that will last beyond me. A lot of that is capturing His message through our ministry in video, Internet broadcasts, books and interviews like this one!"

Wayne thanks for taking time for a great interview! Your "spirit of excellence" has influenced me in ministry. You were a mentor to me and you never knew it. For many years I've checked out enewhope.org and followed your "Mentoring at a Distance", "What you were reading, What you were learning, What you were thinking..." I'm so excited to see that you now have podcasting! Thanks again. Stay tuned for more great interviews of great leaders!