Tuesday, October 25, 2005 | |

The Leadership Blog Interview: Todd Hudson

Todd Hudson

Bio: Todd Hudson is Senior Pastor of Southeast Christian Church in Parker, CO with an attendance of over 3000. Todd and SCC were also featured in this month's Vision Mag.

Church: Southeast Christian Church

The Leadership Blog Interview Questions
1. Todd, what gives you the greatest joy in being a leader?
Todd: "I can’t think of a greater joy than to see people’s lives changed. When I get an email or a hear a testimony of how someone’s life was changed through my leadership from the pulpit as they are taught the word of God in a way that makes sense to them and connects with them and life change happens-that to me is what it is all about. When I see that glow in their eyes that says for the first time they really get it and are going to live it that brings greater joy to me than anything else."

2. What is your biggest pet peeve as a leader?
Todd: "There is nothing that gets me fired up more than long time Christians who still think church is all about them. It’s about their needs, catering to their desires, and should be done their way instead of being willing to put their personal preferences on a shelf to reach a whole new generation of lost people for Jesus Christ."

3. Who made the biggest influence in your life as a leader?
Todd
: "That’s a really hard questions to answer because many people have influenced me in many different ways both through relationships and from afar. For instance my dad who is a faithful pastor has had a huge influence upon my life as I grew up watching his leadership. I have a great friend named Rod who has been both a successful business executive and pastor and through his mentoring me like an older brother he has taught me a lot about leadership. But then there are also those people who I don’t know personally but have influenced me from afar-people like Ed Young Jr. who challenged me to think more creatively, like Andy Stanley who has a way of taking profound leadership principles and making them very simple, like Bill Hybels who was willing to do church for unchurched people. These and many others have had a profound impact on my life and leadership."

4. What books have changed your life?
Todd: "I can’t answer this as a pastor without saying first the Bible right? And what more life changing book has there ever been than that one. Without the message of hope found there, there really is no life change. Beyond that, there have been many. In the leadership realm particularly, Courageous Leadership by Bill Hybels which taught me the importance of leading up and not just down-of being a 360 degree leader. And the Purpose Driven Church by Rick Warren which took much of what I believed about church growth and leadership and packaged it in a way that really connected with me and made sense."

5. What's your biggest challenge as a leader?
Todd
: "I think my biggest challenge is to continually grow myself to the next level as a leader. In the past 15 years I’ve gone from leading a small church to a medium sized church to now an ever growing megachurch. I know I can’t lead the same way tomorrow as I do today. So I constantly try to read and seek counsel of leaders who lead at a higher level so I can continue to grow myself to new leadership levels. I remember years ago, learning from John Maxwell the importance of always having a growth plan as a leader and this is something I constantly strive to do. I know I’m capable today to lead a staff of 35 and a church of 3000 but if I don’t grow I won’t be ready to lead a staff of 60 and a church of 6000."

6. What goals do you have as a leader?
Todd
: "I want to walk with God intimately so I can hear His voice always. I only want to lead as a pastor, father, or husband in a way that takes people where He wants us to go. I want to be able to say to everyone in my life, “Follow me as I follow Christ.”

7. Where do you see yourself in ten years?
Todd: "I can’t imagine myself doing anything other than what I’m doing right now. I hope to preach and lead and impact lives for His kingdom for the rest of my life."

Todd, Thanks for taking time for the interview! I look forward to listening to your mp3s on your church site.