Wednesday, October 19, 2005 | |

The Leadership Blog Interview: Greg Rohlinger

Greg Rohlinger

Bio: Greg Rohlinger is Senior Pastor of Palm Valley Community Church.

Church: Palm Valley Community Church

The Leadership Blog Interview Questions
1. What gives you the greatest joy in being a leader?
Greg
: "Life change, I’m addicted to it. I love looking around and seeing people whose lives have been changed. I can’t believe God lets me be a part of this. I also love seeing people who didn’t think they had much to offer, now being used by God is big ways. That’s my story, so I love to see God’s power unleashed in the lives of others."

2. What is your biggest pet peeve as a leader?
Greg: "People who aren’t sold out to building the Kingdom. It drives me crazy when staff or volunteers act like they’re entitled to something. I’d be glad to clean toilets at Palm Valley (and I have). I don’t do well with people who are lazy or complain about having to go the extra distance. They don’t last long with us."

3. Who made the biggest influence in your life as a leader?
Greg
: 1) Don Engram. Nobody knows him, but he’s my father in law. When I was a new believer he took me under his wing and discipled me. He pastored 3 churches in his life, all of them experienced significant growth. He just retired after 55 years of ministry, but he’s still involved in his church.
2) Rick Warren. Rick opened my eyes to what a church could be. I was stuck in the traditional mold, and dying. My first trip to Saddleback unleashed my potential. I’ve learned a ton from Rick about building a healthy church. If it wasn’t for Rick’s influence I don’t think I would have ever started Palm Valley Church.
3) Ed Young. Ed’s an incredible visionary leader. Spending time with him is like drinking from a fire hydrant. I love that he speaks his mind and doesn’t pull any punches. He’s challenged me to be more creative, and to never settle for “good enough”. I’ve been able to spend a little time with him this year and it’s been the most valuable ministry growth moments in the past two years for me. I am however, a better dresser than him. =)

4. What books have changed your life?
Greg: 1) The Bible. I know, cliché, but it’s changed my life.
2) Purpose Driven Church, taught me what a New Testament church looked like and gave me confidence to start one.
3) Treasure Principle by Randy Alcorn. Opened my eyes to my giving potential and priorities. Great little book.

5. What's your biggest challenge as a leader?
Greg
: "Prioritizing time. As our church grows the demands for my time grow. I’m a pastor at heart, so it’s hard for me to say no, but I have to. I’m learning to get people around me who are good at blocking for me."

6. What goals do you have as a leader?
Greg: 1) To become more like Christ. I see the areas I need to grow, and I want to become mature.
2) To lead Palm Valley to become a prevailing church in the west valley of Phoenix. I want to see us reach thousands upon thousands for Christ, and disciple them to maturity in their faith.
3) I want to find new, creative ways to grow God’s Kingdom. I love some of the cutting edge stuff happening in the Church realm today, and I want to be in the lead.

7. Where do you see yourself in ten years?
Greg
: 1) Spending a ton of time at my kids games. I’ve got 3 boys who will be in jr/sr high school in 10 years, I expect to be in the stands cheering them on. 1 girl on the way, so I’ll probably be hitting some ballet sessions also J
2) Pastoring Palm Valley Church. I love being a pastor, and I love the people of our church. I’ll be standing on the curb each Saturday/Sunday high 5’ing kids as they walk in, and teaching God’s Word in creative (hopefully) ways.
3) Writing. I’d love to share my journey with others. I think I’ve learned a lot of valuable lessons, and I’d love to help young leaders maximize their potential for the Kingdom.

Greg, Thanks for a great interview!