Monday, October 31, 2005 | |

The Leadership Blog Interview: Kyle Lake

"In honor & memory of Kyle Lake, I've decided to re-post his interview for those who didn't know much about him and for the many who are looking for more info on his life."

Kyle Lake

Bio: Kyle Lake is the pastor of University Baptist Church in Waco, Texas and author of Understanding God's Will: How to Hack the Equation Without Formulas and (re)Understanding Prayer: A Fresh Approach to Conversation with God.

Church: University Baptist Church

The Leadership Blog Interview Questions
1. Kyle, what gives you the greatest joy in being a leader?
Kyle: "As of today, I think the thing that probably attracts my attention more than anything is seeing someone genuinely explore an aspect of life, ministry, God beyond the commonly held assumptions that their culture has provided for them. Not for the satisfaction found in being a renegade but because there's an authentic pursuit of truth about the world in which they live."

2. What is your biggest pet peeve as a leader?
Kyle: "Besides waiters singing the birthday song in a public restaurant? That's definitely my biggest pet peeve as a leader. And I guess this too: critique without alternatives given."

3. Who made the biggest influence in your life as a leader?
Kyle: "What a difficult question. At first reading I thought: in what aspect of leadership?? Some of these would be known and many not known. For instance, my friend Brandon Cathey has inadvertently taught me most what a life looks like where pride is not central. And my friend Joel "Bubba" Smith has inadvertently taught me most about selflessness. -Things I know very little about. David Crowder has inadvertently taught me how to center your reality in your mission rather than your reality being rooted in the voices of others. Brian McLaren has taught me many things, foremost the humility he displays despite critique."

4. What books have changed your life?
Kyle: "Since I have such poor retention, I can only speak to the here and now. Right now, The Emotionally Healthy Church by Peter Scazzero. Colossians Remixed by Brian Walsh and Sylvia Keesmaat. Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell."

5. What's your biggest challenge as a leader?
Kyle: "As of today, one of the things I'm learning more and more is to trust my intuitions, my leanings and to lead out in those things."

6. What goals do you have as a leader?
Kyle: "Unsure if these are personal goals or if these goals are related to my leadership position within my particular church? I think I can speak to both since my hope is the same both personally and professionally. I carry the expectation that I will always be (and my church will always be) in a truer place--truer to God, ourselves and our mission year after year...a more thoughtful place year after year...an emotionally-healthier place year after year."

7. Where do you see yourself in ten years?
Kyle: "Hopefully in the same place. Pastor of University Baptist Church in Waco, Texas"

Thanks Kyle for a great interview!