Thursday, October 20, 2005 | |

The Leadership Blog Interview: Ed Rowell

Ed Rowell

Bio: Ed Rowell is the senior pastor of Tri-Lakes Chapel in Monument, Colorado. He’s a former editor of Leadership Journal and Preaching Today. His books include Preaching with Spiritual Passion, Go the Distance, and a novel, Emma’s Journal.

Church: Tri-Lakes Chapel

The Leadership Blog Interview Questions
1. Ed, what gives you the greatest joy in being a leader?
Ed: "It is gratifying to look around and see things in existence that might not have been had a leader not heard God’s voice, put forth the vision, laid out a strategy, and called people to action. New believers, new ministries, maturing Christ-followers, improved facilities, all these bring great satisfaction.

2. What is your biggest pet peeve as a leader?
Ed: "Pettiness. Petty behavior, whether it is in me, or in others, is evidence that we’ve lost focus on the big picture and are beginning to focus on self."

3. Who made the biggest influence in your life as a leader?
Ed: "There have been several influences, both up close and from a distance. But I’d say Bill Hybels continues to challenge me and remind me why I need to stay in the game like no one else. I first attended a Willow Creek conference in 1987, and have been strengthened, challenged, and encouraged by Bill ever since."

4. What books have changed your life?
Ed: "I read 30-50 books every year and have gleaned from all of them. But there are a few I go back to virtually every year to reread. Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster, Life Together by Dietrich Bonhoeffer, and the Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien—these books always touch me deeply and I believe are having lasting impact in my actions and attitudes."

5. What's your biggest challenge as a leader?
Ed: "Battling discouragement and cynicism. I’m like a doctor who keeps getting bent because all his patients act like sick people. Effective self-leadership is my biggest struggle."

6. What goals do you have as a leader?
Ed: "To finish well, not to burn out or grow too discouraged to make the journey."

7. Where do you see yourself in ten years?
Ed: "I hope to still be leading Tri-Lakes Chapel, but to have expanded my writing significantly."

Thanks Ed for a great interview!