Thursday, August 28, 2008 | |

The Leadership Blog Interview: John Palmer

John Palmer – General Secretary of the Assemblies of God

Bio: John M. Palmer was elected general secretary of the Assemblies of God at the 52nd General Council in August 2007. John is a member of the Executive Leadership Team and the Executive Presbytery. As general secretary, John oversees the credentialing of ministers, church chartering, the collection of official statistics and the Flower Pentecostal Heritage Center.

Prior to his current post, John served as Executive Presbyter of the North Central Region and as an AG World Missions representative for the Africa Oasis Project, raising funds to dig wells in East Africa and plant churches in those same communities. In 2006, he founded Come Alongside Ministry, in order to provide encouragement, coaching and consultation to pastors and churches. John served as senior pastor of First Assembly of God, Des Moines, Iowa from 1985-2006. He pioneered New Life Assembly of God, Athens, Ohio from 1974-1985.

John holds a Master of Arts in Pastoral Leadership from Assemblies of God Theological Seminary and is a 1974 graduate of Central Bible College.

John is author of Equipping for Ministry, Stories to Keep you Looking Up and Keeping Up With the Jonahs, and has contributed to many others including: The Decisive Leader, The Pentecostal Pastor and Power for Living. He has also written numerous articles for Today’s Pentecostal Evangel.

The Leadership Blog Interview Questions
1. What gives you the greatest joy in being a leader?
John
: "My greatest joy is to see those I lead succeed in what they are called to do."

2. John, What is your biggest pet peeve as a leader?
John
: "I hate it when leaders treat those whom they are leading unkindly and with disrespect. It greatly bothers me when leaders do not value each individual on their team."

3. Who made the biggest influence in your life as a leader?
John
: "My dad and mom’s fingerprints are all over my life. My dad’s commitment to prayer, simplicity, and discipline have marked my life. My mom had an ability to work well with just about everyone. She also demonstrated how to face life’s challenges with joy and optimism. Though they are both in heaven, their lives influence me just about every day."

4. John, What books have changed your life?
John
: "The book of Philippians has revolutionized my mind. Alicia Chole’s book, Anonymous, transformed me. As a young church planter, Robert Schuller’s, Power of Positive Thinking, literally put me on a new track."

5. What's your biggest challenge as a leader?
John
: "My biggest challenge is to take the time required to continue to grow as a person so I can continue to grow as a leader (husband, father, pastor, church leader)."

6. What goals do you have as a leader?
John
: "To be consistent, to be a Christ-like example, to inspire and encourage those I lead, to value those I lead."

7. Where do you see yourself in ten years?
John
: "I see myself growing and flourishing – coming along side my children as they raise their families and do their ministries – spoiling our grandchildren – loving life with my wife, Debbie."