Monday, August 25, 2008 | |

The Leadership Blog Interview: Doug Clay

Doug Clay - General Treasurer of the A/G

Bio: Douglas E. Clay was elected general treasurer of the Assemblies of God by the Executive Presbytery in January 2008. He is a member of the Executive Leadership Team and the Executive Presbytery. Clay oversees the Division of the Treasury, which is responsible for handling all finances sent to Headquarters for the world ministries of the church.

Prior to his election as general treasurer, Clay served as superintendent of the Ohio District from June 2004 to 2008. He pastored Calvary Assembly of God in Toledo, Ohio, from 1997 to 2004. Clay has also served as the Assemblies of God national youth director (1995-1997), Ohio District youth director (1989-1995) and as a youth pastor in Ohio and Iowa.

The Leadership Blog Interview Questions
1. Doug, What gives you the greatest joy in being a leader?

Doug: “Fulfilling God’s purposes for my life…Helping leaders reach their potential…Contributing to church health.”

2. What is your biggest pet peeve as a leader?
Doug
: “Observing leaders unwillingness to change…Watching leaders NOT surround themselves with people who are more gifted than they, due to their personal insecurities. There are great gifts in a pew that should be on church boards but are not because of this very reason!”

3. Who made the biggest influence in your life as a leader?
Doug
: “My mom… (my dad died when I was 9, she raised me as a single mom) also Bill Leach and Gary Meyer.”

4. Doug, What books have changed your life?
Doug
: :Other than the Bible…various books at different times in my life. For example, I was greatly impacted by Richard Foster’s book, “Spiritual Disciplines” in Bible college, however John Ortberg’s book, “The Life You’ve Always Wanted” really impacted me as a pastor. Both books on spiritual disciplines, different, yet impacted me. I do love to read Leadership and Management books and love reading about leadership trends from subscriptions like Fast Company.”

5. What's your biggest challenge as a leader?
Doug
: “Prioritizing…giving myself to the priorities that need to be accomplished. Interruptions, which are a part of ministry, can really challenge your priorities.”

6. What goals do you have as a leader?
Doug
: “ I want to give myself fully to helping leaders/pastors reach their potential and seeing churches become churches of influence.”

7. Where do you see yourself in ten years?
Doug
: “In love with Jesus and my wife, enjoying life and giving myself fully to the ministry that God has me in! I would like to break 80 consistently in golf! (We believe in miracles right?)”