Tuesday, November 22, 2005 | |

The Leadership Blog Interview: John Bishop

John Bishop

Bio: John Bishop is Lead Pastor of Living Hope Church in Vancouver, WA.

Church: Living Hope Church - Vancouver, WA
Blog: John Bishop

The Leadership Blog Interview Questions
1. John, what gives you the greatest joy in being a leader?
John: "My greatest joy as a leader is seeing potential realized in people. I love calling out of people what God put in them. I think Jesus calls us and believes in our ability to do something way more than we do in ourselves."

2. What is your biggest pet peeve as a leader?
John: "My biggest pet peeve is when someone tells me something can’t be done. Nothing sends me from zero to mach speed faster than a bad attitude. Also it’s difficult for me to be around “the cup is half empty” people. If Chicken Little is in the room I get stressed out. I know we need critical analysis but truth be told; who would have ever thought Peter would or could walk on water? I rest my case."

3. Who made the biggest influence in your life as a leader?
John: "Who’s influenced my life as a leader? So many! Probably, as a leader, Bill Hybels. His passion for the local church years ago is what began in me a stirring of God. I’ve met Bill-in fact a few months before we started Living Hope I went to my very first church conference. Bill was teaching with John Maxwell. I waited in line for ten minutes to say “hi” to Bill, but to my surprise when it was our turn to speak to him he took me and my wife aside and prayed that we would be a prevailing church. I have never and will never forget that day. Secondly, my wife Michelle. She keeps me centered in so many ways. Emotionally, spiritually and relationally. She can and does tell me things that others either don’t or can’t. I love and respect her more than any other human being. That’s all I got to say about that."

4. What books have changed your life?
John: "So many! Of course the Bible. Duh! I read a lot. Andy Stanley’s book “7 Practices of Effective Ministry” was/is life changing. I have bought over 100 copies and given them to pastors in our community. Andy is another guy that has influenced me so much. The other fascinating book is “Blue Ocean Strategy”. Great marketing strategy book! Should I go on-how many books do you want?"

5. What's Your biggest challenge as a leader?
John: "So simple. Leading me. Hybel’s does a great job in his talk “360 degree Leadership” Leading others, leading up, leading peers YET leading me is my biggest challenge. Staying focused, staying in love with God, staying out of God’s way (I hate not being in control), staying balanced, staying healthy…mostly I have to stay disciplined to not get lazy leading myself."

6. What goals do you have as a leader?
John: "My goals as a leader are 1) To finish well-really! I see so many leaders that end up sidelined from ministry. It’s so sad to me. I really want to do whatever it takes to finish well. 2) In relationship to finishing well I want to stay married and in love with Michelle. Marriage takes work. I want to really be best friends for life. 3) I want to “be there” as a father to my three kids. I’m all they have. My dad died when I was five. Growing up I hated seeing other kids go camping etc. with their dads. I felt left out and alone. So I want to really be there! Lastly I want to get through just today. Not to sound over dramatic, but I mean it. Every day has so many challenges. Our church had grown from 1,100 to 2,800 in one year. Now we are a multi-campus church beginning services at our second location in only 8 weeks. It’s just a lot. I want to keep my sanity and really be joyful. H. B. London spoke at our church two weeks ago and I have to say I just love him! I love his heart for pastors. He sent me a book “Pastors at Greater Risk.” I think it’s a hint-what do you think?"

7. Where do you see yourself in ten years?
John: "Ten years ago Living Hope didn’t exist. Ten years ago I would have never imagined anything happening today, so I’ll choose to say I hope I’m doing church, in this church, with the people I love the most. I don’t know what else to say. I love being part of a revolution with leaders who dare to put everything on the line. I love waking up because I love what I get to do. I love the people God has around me. I hope I can still be blessable enough to be used by the one whose name I bare! I want to continually stay out of the way and courageously trust God!"

Thanks John for taking the time for an interesting interview!