Monday, August 14, 2006 | |

The Leadership Blog Interview: Matt Carter

Matt Carter

Bio: Alongside worship leader Chris Tomlin, Matt is the Senior Pastor of The Austin Stone Community Church in Austin, TX, one of the 100 fastest growing churches in Amercia. Matt has been the featured speaker at Houston Metro and various camps and conferences nationwide. He currently lives in Austin with his wife Jennifer and his three children, John Daniel, Annie and Samuel.


Church: Austin Stone Community Church

The Leadership Blog Interview Questions
1. What gives you the greatest joy in being a leader?
Matt
: “Seeing those that I have poured my life into flourish in ministry. In some ways, it must be like the joy of seeing your own children succeed in life, yet in a spiritual sense. I firmly believe that God calls pastors to not only to lead, but to be a leader of leaders. Watching those young leaders succeed and even supersede my ministry is a thrill to me. “

2. What is your biggest pet peeve as a leader?
Matt
: “Critics. Especially those not associated with our ministry. Some people just love to complain. I love what Theodore Roosevelt said about it once: “It behooves every man to remember that the work of the critic is of altogether secondary importance, and that, in the end, progress is accomplished by the man who does things.”

3. Who made the biggest influence in your life as a leader?
Matt
: “Two men. The first is Greg Matte. Greg is now the pastor of Houston’s First Baptist Church, but I met him when he was the speaker for Breakaway Ministry at Texas A&M. Greg is one of those rare individual who is a great preacher and a great pastor. Most of us tend to be one or the other. I learned a great deal from him about how to love my people well. The other is man named Chris Osborne who is the pastor of Central Baptist Church of Bryan, TX and the former president of the Southern Baptist of Texas Convention. I learned from him the power that can come from expository preaching, which I employ in my ministry today.”

4. What books have changed your life?
Matt:
: “With the obvious exception of the Bible, I would say that Philip Yancey’s “The Jesus I Never Knew” and John Piper’s “The Supremacy of God in Preaching”, have both effected me greatly.”

5. What's your biggest challenge as a leader?
Matt
: “This year it has been trying to lead well in the midst of personal struggles. This last year I was diagnosed with cancer, and I pretty much mentally checked out for about six months. Trying to maintain focus and leadership in the midst of personal health issues has been ridiculously hard, and one that God’s grace has been amazing throughout.”

6. What goals do you have as a leader?
Matt
: “To grow in the area of servant leadership. I believe strongly that the days of CEO pastor are coming to a close. People are looking for leaders who exemplify Jesus and Jesus was a servant leader.”

7. Where do you see yourself in ten years?
Matt: “ Hopefully alive, preaching the Word of God, and pastoring people here in Austin, TX.”