Wednesday, February 07, 2007 | |

The Leadership Blog Interview: Joseph Girdler

Joseph Girdler

Bio: Pastor Joe is the District Superintendent of Kentucky Assemblies of God

Site: Kentucky Assemblies of God

The Leadership Blog Interview Questions
1. What gives you the greatest joy in being a leader?
Girdler: "As oddly as it may sound, the simple reflection of God’s incredible grace upon my life that He has counted me worthy to be about His business. That actually gives me joy in knowing that He has smiled upon me and granted me such responsibility to share His word, and truth with others.:

2. What is your biggest pet peeve as a leader?
Girdler: "Christian leaders who show themselves 1) unfaithful, 2) lacking in integrity, and …. Oh yea, one more… 3) outright boring in the pulpit. None of us should be unfaithful. None of us should lack in integrity. And, none of us, while we may never be Billy Graham’s, should ever be plain old boring. Surely, a little enthusiasm and passion could ring in whatever we feel led to preach… "

3. Who made the biggest influence in your life as a leader?
Girdler: 1) My family; mom/dad, siblings.
2) a teacher I had in jr high and in high school.
3) The pastor/staff at the church I attended while in college.
4) My mother and father in law, wife, and…even children.

4. What books have changed your life?
Girdler: 1) A Dake Reference Bible given me as a gift from Renee when we were still dating.
2) Charles Swindoll’s -Improving Your Serve: The Art of Unselfish Living, 1981.
3)Evangelism Explosion – D.James Kennedy, 1983. &
4) A little children’s book I used to read as a bedtime story to my kids when they were little – “If I Could Only Choose One…” -

5. What's your biggest challenge as a leader?
Girdler: 1) Staying healthy in the schedule of ministry, 2) handling crises, 3) balancing the passions and dreams of both ministry & family endeavors.

6. What goals do you have as a leader?
Girdler: 1) to be found faithful to the Lord and His work, 2) to be visionary with the time He gives me to lead, & 3) to be dedicated to my wife, and children.

7. Where do you see yourself in ten years?
Girdler: 1) It may sound too simplistic, but honestly… prayerfully continuing to be sensitive and aware of God’s voice and will, regardless of His lot for me in life. I have found contentedness in wherever He leads me.
2) I would be honored and very happy to still be serving the Kentucky Assemblies of God, working and ministering along side great men and women committed to the Lord’s work in a this state- the state that my wife and I have always called home: The Bluegrass of Kentucky.
3) Beyond that, only the Lord knows. Our family has always had a heart for missions and cross-cultural efforts, international church environments, medical missions… I’ve given it some thought to considering working on a Doctorate someday, writing some books, and doing all I can to laugh and enjoy my children who are quickly growing up… I’m sure, whatever the Lord holds for my life ten years from now, provided he tarries His imminent return, I will love every minute of it and do my best to find myself anointed to serve… It’s a great journey serving the Lord!

Pastor, Thanks for taking time for the interview. It is a joy to follow you as you lead with vision. Thanks.