Monday, July 24, 2006 | |

The Leadership Blog Interview: John Ed Mathison

John Ed Mathison

Bio: Dr. John Ed Mathison has been senior minister of Frazer Memorial United Methodist Church in Montgomery, Alabama, one of the fastest growing United Methodist churches in America, for the past 34 years. Under his leadership, Frazer has grown from 400 members to more than 8,400 members, and has the largest Sunday School attendance for United Methodist churches in America.

Church: Frazer UMC

The Leadership Blog Interview Questions
1. What gives you the greatest joy in being a leader?
John Ed: "The greatest joy I find in being a leader is to have people discover God’s purpose for their lives."

2. What is your biggest pet peeve as a leader?
John Ed: "My biggest pet peeve as a leader is that sometimes we leaders don’t perceive that we are actually leading."

3. Who made the biggest influence in your life as a leader?
John Ed: "The biggest influence in my life was my dad."

4. What books have changed your life?
John Ed:

5. What's your biggest challenge as a leader?
John Ed: "The biggest challenge I have as a leader is to not to get too far out in front of people but be sure that I am close enough to people so that they follow."

6. What goals do you have as a leader?
John Ed: "My goal for leadership is to be effective and help people get where it is that God wants them to be."

7. Where do you see yourself in ten years?
John Ed: "In ten years I see myself, at age 78, continuing to do ministry and being excited about what God is doing."

Thanks John Ed for taking time to share your thoughts.