Tuesday, January 03, 2006 | |

The Leadership Blog Interview: Brian McLaren

Brian McLaren

Bio: Brian McLaren is a prominent voice in the Emerging Church movement. Brian was recognized as one of TIME magazine's "25 Most Influential Evangelicals in America." He is the founding pastor of Cedar Ridge Community Church in Spencerville, MD.

Site: www.anewkindofchristian.com

The Leadership Blog Interview Questions
1. Brian, What gives you the greatest joy in being a leader?
Brian: "Watching people experience transformation as people of God, becoming agents of grace who can transform the world."

2. What is your biggest pet peeve as a leader?
Brian: "When we get distracted and divided by petty arguments and miss the point."

3. Who made the biggest influence in your life as a leader?
Brian: "I suppose we'd all say Jesus ... In addition, I have had several wonderful mentors whose lives have said, "Follow me as I follow Christ." But probably my parents stand out the most; they modeled Christ to me in the ways that mattered most."

4. What books have changed your life?
Brian: "So many - too many to mention. The novels of Walker Percy have had a great influence.

5. What's your biggest challenge as a leader?
Brian: "Trying not to get bogged down in the many things I am not good at, so I can concentrate on the few things I'm most gifted and called to do."

6. What goals do you have as a leader?
Brian: "I am in the midst of a transition now, and am thinking about goals for the last third of my life. There will be personal and family goals,goals relating to peace and justice, goals relating to the church and leadership development, and goals relating to writing and speaking. I hope in all these ways to contribute to the church rediscovering the message of the kingdom of God, and seeking to live by that message.

7. Where do you see yourself in ten years?
Brian: "Encouraging younger leaders to network and dream together about life and mission for the rest of the 21st century."

Thanks Brian for taking time for the interview!