Wednesday, December 28, 2005 | |

The #5 Most Popular Leadership Blog Interview of the Year

"We will be counting down the five most popular interviews." -JS


Tony Morgan

Bio: Tony Morgan is Pastor of Administrative Services at Granger Community Church. Granger has over 5000 each Sunday and is one of the fastest growing churches in America. In addition to writing several articles on staffing, technology, strategic planning and leadership for nationally known websites and publications, Tony has collaborated with Tim Stevens, executive pastor at GCC, on a series of books specifically for church leaders:Simply Strategic Stuff Simply Strategic VolunteersSimply Strategic Growth Church: Granger Community Church

Blog: tonymorgan.typepad.com

The Leadership Blog Interview
1. Tony, What gives you the greatest joy in being a leader?
Tony: "You mean after seeing people who were far from God become committed Christ-followers? That's my greatest joy as a leader. That's what drives me in life. I've given my life to reaching the unchurched forJesus. After that, what really pumps me up is seeing people soaring in their families, relationships and in their roles--ministry or marketplace. I love helping people get to a place where they're passionate about their contribution and they're empowered to perform at their highest capacity. I love helping people do what they do best."

2. What is your biggest pet peeve as a leader?
Tony: "Maintenance mode. I hate when I end up having to maintain anything. That probably sounds odd for a guy that's an administrator for a living, doesn't it? What's next? Where do we go from here? How can we make the system more effective? How do we make it happen? Those are always more intriguing questions for me."

3. Who made the biggest influence in your life as a leader?
Tony: "I'm surrounded by great leaders, so that's pretty hard. Mark Beeson, our senior pastor, has taught me more about the power of vision, teams, and encouragement than anyone. Tim Stevens, our executive pastor, has taught me a lot about managing relationships and the process that leads to successful execution. From a distance, BillHybels has really fueled my passion for leadership and the ministry ofthe local church. Then there are countless numbers of leaders that I'mconstantly reading and listening to both in ministry and themarketplace that stretch my thinking. I'm in constant learning mode."

4. What books have changed your life?
Tony: "Well, other than the Bible, of course, number one on the list wouldprobably be Rick Warren's Purpose Driven Church. God used that book toconfirm a calling in my life for ministry. When I read Warren's visionfor the church, I knew I wanted to serve at a church that wasintentional about reaching people far from God and helping thembecoming fully-devoted followers of Christ. Actually--I probably shouldn't admit this--I was reading and re-reading that book so much,my 3-year-old daughter started referring to it as "Daddy's Bible." Part of the reason I gave up my career in city management and became a pastor was because of that book. I guess that's a pretty big life change."

5. What's your biggest challenge as a leader?
Tony: "Dealing with me. There are days when I'm too comfortable with what I can accomplish through my own efforts. There are days when I'm not confident enough in what God can accomplish through me. Either way--it's sin. God's still doing a work in me. I'm still pursuing him."

6. What goals do you have as a leader?
Tony: "Remain faithful and committed to my wife. Raise my kids well. Do something great for God in ministry at my church. Help other churches to be cool so they can more effectively reach people who haven't yetfound Christ. Have fun doing all of that with people I love."

7. Where do you see yourself in ten years?
Tony: "I can't think that far ahead. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do tomorrow."Thanks Tony for taking the time for the interview. Your articles and insight has really inspired me.